Rita Marley Foundation(JA) Songwriting Competition
High Schoolers in Jamaica are invited
to participate in the inaugural event!
The Song Should Be Focused on
‘Strong Black Women & Their Role in History.’
Teachers should submit song(s) no later than June 1, 2019; with student(s) bio and head shot.
- 1st place $50,000, plus other splendid prizes
- 2nd place $25,000, plus other splendid prizes
- 3rd place $15,000, plus other splendid prizes
Song Structure and Composition(20 Points)
- The song has a clear theme or cohesive idea
- The song has clearly identifiable sections, verse, chorus, etc.
- The song is written in English or Patois
- The lyrics evoke an emotional response from the listener
- Lyrics are syntactically and grammatically correct, while allowing for colloquial expressions and artistic language use.
- The lyrics are singable and memorable
- The lyrics have an identifiable rhyme scheme or pattern
Originality and Content(60 Points)
- The song expresses the theme in a new or fresh way
- The song is memorable
- The song has commercial potential
- The song must have a title
- The song focused on strong black women and their role in history